- A French crescent-shaped roll made of sweet flaky pastry, often eaten for breakfast.More example sentences
- For example, breakfast might consist of either Lebanese flatbread or French croissants with cheese and coffee or tea.
- Be they ‘au beurre’ or not, croissants are a French speciality to be found on breakfast trays around the world.
- This bakery produces a range of delicious continental breads such as croissants and pains au chocolat, as well as speciality loaves.
late 19th century: French (see crescent). The term had occasionally been recorded earlier as a variant of crescent.
More definitions of croissantDefinition of croissant in:
- The British & World English dictionary