Definition of cross index in English:
A note or cross reference in a book or list that refers the reader to other material.
- There are also alphabetical cross indexes.
- This is a cross index for all listed stories in all known zines by some authors.
- To facilitate such a search, I have created a cross index to the patterns.
verb(cross-index) [with object] Back to top
Index (something) under another heading as a cross reference: [as adjective]: a cross-indexed file
More example sentences
- He obtains the information and cross-indexes it with the names of new car buyers.
- I've cross-indexed the stuff I've been inputting.
- The purchasable monster Master Catalog of 35,000 video, laser discs, and DVD items is cross-indexed by title, director, and subject matter.
Definition of cross index in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan