Definition of crossbill in English:
A thickset finch with a crossed bill adapted for extracting seeds from the cones of conifers. The plumage is typically red in the male and olive green in the female.
- Genus Loxia, family Fringillidae: four species, in particular the widespread red (or common) crossbill (L. curvirostra)
- Chickadees, crossbills, goldfinches, nuthatches, siskins, and woodpeckers pick the winged seeds out of pine and spruce cones.
- The forest is, of course, most famous for its ospreys but Peter says the Scottish crossbill, wonderfully adapted for life in the pine forest, is also a local treasure.
- In turn, the crossbills in the squirrel-less areas have evolved deeper bills, thereby partly countering the cones' defenses.
Definition of crossbill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.