A medieval bow of a kind that is fixed across a wooden support and has a groove for the bolt and a mechanism for drawing and releasing the string.
More example sentences
- The movie features many different races using many different types of longbows and crossbows in warfare.
- They used the cars for cover, effectively avoiding the badly-aimed wooden bolts of crossbows.
- It houses thousands of weapons, including guns and ammunition, knives, knuckledusters, coshes, crossbows and swords.
- More example sentences
- He quickly formed his army up to meet an attack, but his crossbowmen were still on the other side of the river.
- The crusaders consisted mainly of knights and some crossbowmen.
- Dozens of sentries and crossbowmen kept watch on the battlements, and mounted cavalry patrolled the keep walls and the surrounding area.
Pronunciation: /-ˌbōmən/noun (plural crossbowmen)
Definition of crossbow in:
- The British & World English dictionary