Definition of crosscut in English:
1Cut (wood or stone) across its main grain or axis.
- Then all you need to do is cross-cut the lengths.
- Her left knee buckled like a tree being cross-cut at its base.
- Use a jigsaw to crosscut the board adjacent to a joist.
2Alternate (one sequence) with another when editing a movie.
- He cross-cuts their story with the tale of ‘boarded-out’ orphans sent to the Western Isles.
- She chose to cross-cut the president's remarks with news commentary and parliamentary footage.
- The opening sequence features a blade being sharpened on stone, quickly cross-cutting to a chaotic chase in which a gang of desperadoes attempt to capture a rogue chicken.
nounBack to top
1A diagonal cut, especially one across the main grain or axis of wood or stone.
- A professional-quality miter box or, preferably, a 10-inch power miter saw are required for the precision miters and crosscuts.
- For crosscuts up to 22 1/2 in., flip the square around and place its long blade against the saw shoe.
1.1 short for crosscut saw.
1.2 Mining A cutting made across the course of a vein or the general direction of the workings.
- At the bottom of the shaft two 700-foot crosscuts were driven in a northwest and southeast direction.
- In 1955, a 750-foot crosscut was driven in a northwest direction on the 38th level to intersect an ore shoot outlined by underground diamond drilling.
- The mine was worked by tributers, who recovered a small amount of copper from the crosscuts.
2An instance of alternating between two or more sequences when editing a movie.
- Incessant and intrusive editing, numerous jump- and cross-cuts and confounding time shifts, work to disorient the viewer.
- Intercut with images of a world of ice-covered trees along with numerous other rapid cross-cuts, the result is bizarre and disorienting in the extreme.
- This line is followed by a quick cross-cut to Bruno's hands.
Definition of crosscut in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.