1A pair of fine wires or lines crossing at right angles at the focus of an optical instrument or gun sight, for use in positioning, aiming, or measuring.
- It has been used on a limited basis for fishing nets and for wound dressings, and for cross hairs in optical instruments.
- She had a collection of mailed death threats, one featuring her picture in the cross hairs of a rifle scope.
- I finally line up the target and position the cross hairs.
1.1A representation of crosshairs on a computer screen.
- Instead of turning the character with the left analog stick, the crosshairs just move around the screen.
- When I bring up the software and open a drawing, my crosshairs are invisible.
- Inside, he saw the world on a blue screen with dancing targeting crosshairs that were awaiting things to eliminate.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of crosshairs in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.