Definition of crossruff in English:
A sequence of play in bridge or whist in which partners alternately trump each other’s leads.
- In this case, your plan will be to play a cross-ruff, by trumping outside suits in both your hand and dummy's.
- If those survive, you have five tricks in the bank, and seven more coming via a high cross-ruff.
- If he has shortness in either clubs or hearts, a cross-ruff will develop.
verb[no object] Back to top
Alternately trump particular suits in bridge or whist.
- But when he won the king the defence cross-ruffed the next three tricks to put the game two light.
- She took her top tricks and cross-ruffed the remainder for 13 tricks.
- After cashing his two top Hearts, the declarer peacefully cross-ruffed his way to 12 tricks, conceding a Diamond at the end.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.