Definition of crossruff in English:
A sequence of play in bridge or whist in which partners alternately trump each other’s leads.
- In this case, your plan will be to play a cross-ruff, by trumping outside suits in both your hand and dummy's.
- If those survive, you have five tricks in the bank, and seven more coming via a high cross-ruff.
- If he has shortness in either clubs or hearts, a cross-ruff will develop.
verb[no object] Back to top
Alternately trump particular suits in bridge or whist.
- But when he won the king the defence cross-ruffed the next three tricks to put the game two light.
- She took her top tricks and cross-ruffed the remainder for 13 tricks.
- After cashing his two top Hearts, the declarer peacefully cross-ruffed his way to 12 tricks, conceding a Diamond at the end.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan