Definition of croton in English:
1A strong-scented tree, shrub, or herbaceous plant of the spurge family, native to tropical and warm regions. Several kinds yield timber and other commercially important products.
- Genus Croton, family Euphorbiaceae: numerous species, including C. laccifer, the host plant for the lac insect
- Many of his imports - including hibiscus, azalea, cassia, magnolia, oleander, croton and jasmine - permanently altered the Jamaican scene.
- It belongs to the very large Euphorbia family along with other popular ornamental plants such as poinsettias and crotons.
- Feathers, flowers, and the leaves of croton plants were used to decorate women's hair, and were also placed in arm-bands (worn on the upper arms).
2A small evergreen tree or shrub of the Indo-Pacific region, which is grown for its colorful ornamental foliage.
- Genus Codiaeum, family Euphorbiaceae: several species, in particular C. variegatum, many varieties of which are popular houseplants
- Shrubs don't have to flower to be interesting - team palms with cordylines and crotons for their fabulous foliage.
- To add more colour to the city, the Chief Minister has also suggested that the civic agency could grow crotons on road medians.
- Pisonia has large leaves and could be said to look similar to crotons except without the yellow and red colours.
Words that rhyme with crotonDakotan, Minnesotan, oaten, verboten
Definition of croton in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.