Inflammation of the larynx and trachea in children, associated with infection and causing breathing difficulties.
- These types of virus do not always cause the breathing difficulties associated with croup.
- In addition to the effects on the upper airway, the infections that cause croup can result in inflammation further down the airway, including the bronchi (breathing tubes) and the lungs.
- At least 90% of children with cough have a respiratory tract infection such as a cold, croup, bronchitis, bronchiolitis, whooping cough, or pneumonia.
mid 18th century: from dialect croup 'to croak', of imitative origin.
- Example sentences
- A 21-month-old, previously healthy girl presented initially with a generalized rash and nonproductive cough, which progressively became croupy with moderate stridor.
- If you are not able to break your child's fast breathing and croupy cough, call your child's doctor or seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- If your child starts to make louder croupy noises when he or she breathes, try the following measures.
The rump or hindquarters, especially of a horse.
- The powerful, level back slopes downward at the croup.
- The horse was still sporting several bald patches due to a skin rash that has clustered near his flank, croup, and hip, but the condition has had no impact on his training.
- Length in the neck, shoulder, forearm, croup, and from hip to hock helps a horse take longer strides for his size.