Definition of crown of thorns in English:
1 (also crown-of-thorns-starfish) A large spiky starfish of the tropical Indo-Pacific, feeding on coral and sometimes causing great damage to reefs.
- Acanthaster planci, class Asteroidea
- It looks an impossible job when a soft-bellied gastropod like the triton tries to demolish a spiky crown of thorns starfish.
- The crown of thorns starfish, one of the largest of the sea star group, measures approximately 45 cm across its seven to seventeen arms.
- They could have chosen the ugly and destructive crown of thorns starfish instead.
2A Madagascan shrub of the spurge family, with bright red flowers and many slender thorns. It is a popular houseplant and is sometimes used for hedges in the tropics.
- Euphorbia milii, family Euphorbiaceae
- Hat rack cactii and pencil bush are both euphorbias, as is crown of thorns, so I'd consult a doctor about those, too.
2.1Any of a number of other thorny plants, especially Christ’s thorn.
- The evergreen holly was worshiped as a promise of the sun's return, and some say that Christ's crown of thorns was made of holly.
- Some believers think the crown of thorns was made of this type of tumbleweed.
- In medieval times it was the belief that Jesus crown of thorns was blackberry brambles.
by association with Christ's crown of thorns.
Definition of crown of thorns in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan