Definition of cruise control in English:
1An electronic device in a motor vehicle that can be switched on to maintain a selected constant speed without the use of the accelerator.
- Keep an eye on your speedometer or set the cruise control on long trips to avoid going over the speed limit, thus avoiding costly fines.
- A cruise control with an integrated speed limit monitor is also standard across the range.
- For longer trips using cruise control can help you maintain a constant speed and, in most cases, reduce your fuel consumption.
1.1Used in reference to actions performed with little effort: the team went on cruise control during the second half United finished the game in cruise control
More example sentences
- For the last month Stewart has been on cruise control.
- Even in winning inside two days, New Zealand at times appeared to be on cruise control.
- I've reached a point in my life where I'm on cruise control.
Definition of cruise control in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia