Definition of cryopreserve in English:
verb[with object] Biology & Medicine
Preserve (cells or tissues) by cooling them below the freezing point of water.
- This stage is usually considered to be a characteristic of fresh, or cryopreserved tissues, because other processing methods (fresh-frozen or freeze-dried) are considered to have already caused cell death in donor tissues.
- Tissue was cryopreserved as soon as possible after surgical excision and stored in liquid nitrogen vapor.
- One technique to potentially preserve fertility is to freeze, or cryopreserve, ovarian tissue for later transplantation, which has now been carried out in about 10 women.
- Example sentences
- To date, the only publicised attempt at human ovarian autotransplantation after cryopreservation was unsuccessful because folliculogenesis returned only for a short time.
- These activities include development of new and lower cost methods for cryopreservation, new methods for testing for pathogens, and new methods for ‘cloning’ rats by nuclear transfer techniques.
- Men who are about to start chemotherapy for Hodgkin's disease are usually offered semen cryopreservation.
Definition of cryopreserve in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan