Definition of cryptonym in English:
A code name.
- In a few cases, I was asked to not use a cryptonym or to delete the name of a case officer or the country where he had served.
- The new project had been given an official cryptonym for use in cable traffic: Henceforth it would be known as HARDNOSE.
- One knew one's fellow students only by their cryptonyms and one did not ask them where they lived.
- Example sentences
- One unnamed, cryptonymous administration source said the report has already been optioned to Hollywood for an undisclosed sum.
- Mailer comes up with a truly ingenious plot device: Harvey assigns Harry to track down the cryptonymous C.I.A. file clerk who, as Harvey sees it, defied his authority; reluctantly, Harry must trail himself.
Definition of cryptonym in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan