Definition of cryptosporidium in English:
A parasitic coccidian protozoan found in the intestinal tract of many vertebrates, where it sometimes causes disease.
- Genus Cryptosporidium, phylum Sporozoa
- He died from cryptosporidiosis in 1997 several years after he had been infected with the parasite cryptosporidium.
- Around 140,000 people in Glasgow were last night advised to boil all tap water in their homes for drinking, food, brushing teeth and bathing babies after the parasite cryptosporidium was found in supplies.
- Chlorine is added during water treatment to kill bacteria, although some bugs such as cryptosporidium are extremely resistant to it.
Early 20th century: from crypto- 'concealed' + modern Latin sporidium 'small spore'.
Words that rhyme with cryptosporidiumcymbidium, idiom, iridium, rubidium
Definition of cryptosporidium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.