Definition of cuckoo wasp in English:
A wasp that lays its eggs in the nest of a bee or another species of wasp, in particular.
- ● A true wasp lacking a worker caste, whose larvae are fed by the social wasp host (several species in the family Vespidae, including Vespula austriaca).
- We investigate the interaction with a specialised cuckoo wasp whose larvae kill the beewolf larvae.
- Should the bee return whilst the cuckoo-wasp is still present, the cuckoo wasp curls up into a tight ball.
- The cuckoo wasp eggs develop into males and fertile females only - no cuckoo wasp workers are produced.
Definition of cuckoo wasp in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.