Definition of cuckoo wasp in English:
A wasp that lays its eggs in the nest of a bee or another species of wasp, in particular.
- ● A true wasp lacking a worker caste, whose larvae are fed by the social wasp host (several species in the family Vespidae, including Vespula austriaca).
- We investigate the interaction with a specialised cuckoo wasp whose larvae kill the beewolf larvae.
- Should the bee return whilst the cuckoo-wasp is still present, the cuckoo wasp curls up into a tight ball.
- The cuckoo wasp eggs develop into males and fertile females only - no cuckoo wasp workers are produced.
Definition of cuckoo wasp in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan