1A long, green-skinned fruit with watery flesh, usually eaten raw in salads or pickled.
- It was called Jerusalem Salad and it had tomatoes and cucumbers, olive oil, lemon, olives and goat cheese.
- No breakfast is complete without a large bowl of finely chopped cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and parsley tossed together and drenched in olive oil, a mainstay of the Israeli kitchen.
- Opt for water-bearing vegetables, such as squash, zucchini, asparagus, leafy green salads, tomatoes and cucumbers.
2The climbing plant of the gourd family that yields this fruit, native to the Chinese Himalayan region. It is widely cultivated but very rare in the wild.
- Cucumis sativus, family Cucurbitaceae
- The peas and other vines won't bother each other so go ahead and plan on planting cucumbers, melons or even squash together on the same trellis.
- If seeds begin to mature inside beans, peas, cucumbers, and summer squash, the plants will stop making new fruits.
- Care should be taken to separate as widely as possible, melons, squashes, pumpkins, cucumbers, and others of that family, as any one grown near the other may ruin both as to flavor.
(as) cool as a cucumber
- 1.1Calm and relaxed.Example sentences
- The man from Moscow, calm and cool as a cucumber, knocked him out cold.
- Trying to get him angry with an increasingly cruel set of stunts, our newly cool as a cucumber bandleader learns that staying calm has some sensational fringe benefits.
- I bet you anything Jason's at home cool as a cucumber, not stressing over what he's going to wear.
Definition of cucumber in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.