(also culex mosquito)
Definition of culex in English:
noun (plural culices-ləˌsēz)
A mosquito of a genus that includes a number of kinds commonly found in cooler regions. They do not transmit malaria, but can pass on a variety of other parasites including those causing filariasis. Compare with anopheles.
- Genus Culex, subfamily Culicinae, family Culicidae
- He urged authorities to gather more data on occurrences of the culex tritaeniorhychus mosquito in each district to identify high-risk areas and then step up efforts to control it.
- In summary the infection comes from the bite of a culex mosquito carrying the virus from an infected bird.
- The Toxo mosquito, when in a larvae state, has the nature to feed on the comparatively smaller sized anopheles and culex larvae.
Late 19th century: Latin, literally 'gnat'.
- Example sentences
- The reduction in entry rates of anopheline and culicine mosquitoes into the rooms with treated nets compared to control indicated good efficacy with all the formulations and doses of the insecticides.
- During field experiment in 13 fortnights the total anopheline and culicine mosquitoes entered in experimental houses were 2818.
- Female-biased sex ratios in culicines have been described in the context of thermal stress during embryogenesis and differential larval mortality.
Pronunciation: /ˈkyo͞oləˌsīn/adjective& noun
Definition of culex in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan