- A sash worn around the waist, especially as part of a man’s evening clothes.More example sentences
- Adding a belt, sash or cummerbund further accentuates the waist.
- A cummerbund is a pleated sash worn around the waist.
- Badly positioned cummerbunds and waist straps might interfere with the emergency jettisoning of weightbelts.
early 17th century: from Urdu and Persian kamar-band, from kamar 'waist, loins' and -bandi 'band'. The sash was formerly worn in the Indian subcontinent by domestic workers and low-status office workers.
More definitions of cummerbundDefinition of cummerbund in:
- The British & World English dictionary