A cabinet or closet, usually with a door and shelves, used for storage: a kitchen cupboard
More example sentences
- There is a large walk-in airing cupboard and a family bathroom on this floor.
- There is also a large built-in storage cupboard in the landing.
- A utility room off the kitchen includes a fitted broom cupboard, floor units and stainless steel sink.
cabinet, sideboard, buffet;
dresser, armoire, credenza, chiffonier, closet, wardrobe, commode
the cupboard is bare
- There are no resources or money available for a particular purpose.Example sentences
- Second, Obama could be constrained by a simple fact: the cupboard is bare.
- The cupboard is bare, we've given all we've got.
- The cupboard is bare, the tank is empty.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.