A tropical Asian plant of a genus that includes turmeric, zedoary, and other species that yield spices, dyes, and medicinal products.
- Genus Curcuma, family Zingiberaceae
More example sentences
- Extracted from the roots of the curcuma longa plant, curcumin is a member of the ginger family.
- We have imported a number of varieties from Asia: alpinias, costus, curcumas and hedychiums.
- Remember that curcumas do not emerge from dormancy until June… they are not dead!
modern Latin, from Arabic kurkum 'saffron', from Sanskrit kuṅkuma (so named because the color of turmeric resembles that of saffron).
Definition of curcuma in:
- The British & World English dictionary