verb (curvets, curvetting, curvetted or curvets, curveting, curveted)[no object]
- (Of a horse) leap gracefully or energetically.More example sentences
- It took me some time for the A.G. and myself to get rid of the curvetting dogs, prone as they are to rushing in figures of eight through the house, after which I tried to find Miss Cat, who was not to be had.
- Duke prances like a bear on his hind legs, forcing May Lundstrom to curvet with him.
nounBack to top
- A graceful or energetic leap.More example sentences
- It comes ‘in curvets and caprioles, with the flashing of glutted fish-runs’, and so on for a page of equally shimmery and restive fine-tuning.
late 16th century: from Italian corvetta, diminutive of corva, earlier form of curva 'a curve', from Latin curvus 'bent'.
More definitions of curvetDefinition of curvet in:
- The British & World English dictionary