noun (plural same or cuttlefishes)
- A swimming marine mollusk that resembles a broad squid, having eight arms and two long tentacles that are used for grabbing prey. Its internal skeleton is cuttlebone, which it uses for adjusting buoyancy.
More example sentences
- Order Sepioidea, class Cephalopoda: Sepia and other genera
- Nautilus shells are often used decoratively, and the internal shell of a cuttlefish, or cuttle bone, is sold in the pet trade as a calcium source for birds.
- The whale's prey includes squid, cuttlefish, herring, and sea stars, or starfish.
- Ammonoids are descendants of the extinct, primitive coiled nautiloids and they are extinct relatives of modern squid, octopus, cuttlefish, and nautilus.
More definitions of cuttlefishDefinition of cuttlefish in:
- The British & World English dictionary