Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of cwtch in English:
1A cupboard or cubbyhole.
- To have a cwtch, to tell the dog to go somewhere, you know, it must mean as a safe, a safe place.
- My dad has memories of buying potatoes by the hundredweight in autumn and storing then in the outside cwtch and then eating them until spring when he was young.
- There was also the coal cwtch, which was the shed you kept the coal in.
2A cuddle or hug.
- He gives the best cwtches in the world, and knows how to make me smile.
- A cwtch is more like the kind of cuddle you get when you are still a bach, and you are cwtched up with your Mam; and her shawl is wrapped around both you and her.
Welsh, from cwts, related to couch1.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.