Definition of cyanic acid in English:
A colorless, poisonous, volatile, strongly acidic liquid.
- Chemical formula: HOCN. See also fulminic acid
- Ramberg has cast a sceptic's eye over the familiar story of how Wöhler's synthesis of urea from cyanic acid and ammonia in 1828 dispelled the notion of vitalism by creating an organic compound from inorganic components.
- These data are in accordance with those presented by Vitti et al., who reported reduction of 70% in cyanic acid in the raw leaves of cassava during the dehydration process.
- But esters of normal cyanic acid are not known.
Early 19th century: from cyanogen.
Definition of cyanic acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.