Definition of cyanide in English:
1A salt or ester of hydrocyanic acid, containing the anion CN− or the group —CN. The salts are generally extremely toxic. Compare with nitrile.
- Both cyanides and nitriles have the general formula RCN with a triple bond between the carbon and nitrogen (R-CN).
- The few exceptions to this definition are the oxides of carbon, the carbonates, the cyanides (compounds of carbon, nitrogen, and at least one more element), and a few other families of compounds.
- The case hardening medium is a molten, nitrogen-bearing, fused-salt bath containing either cyanides or cyanates.
1.1Sodium or potassium cyanide used as a poison or in the extraction of gold and silver.
- How are you applying this technique to something which has been so much in the news recently and that is the question of cyanide used for the extraction of gold?
- While he was recovering in hospital, someone somehow poisoned him with cyanide.
- The committee was also worried that the gold will be extracted using cyanide which would cause irreparable damage to the East Rhodope Mountains.
Words that rhyme with cyanidethalidomide • selenide
Definition of cyanide in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan