Definition of cyanogenic in English:
1(Of a plant) capable of cyanogenesis: cyanogenic forms
More example sentences
- Cyanogenic glucosides, glucosinolates and thiocyanate are the goitrogenic/antithyroid constituents of cyanogenic plants that are often used as food by men and animals.
- Cyanogenic glucosides, glucosinolates and thiocyanate are known as goitrogenic principles of cyanogenic plants.
- A number of cyanogenic plants (thiocyanate precursors) containing dietary goitrogens are commonly consumed and SCN was found to present in all the urine samples studied.
1.1 Biochemistry Containing a cyanide group in the molecule.
- In a number of countries cassava is a major source of carbohydrate, but if it is not properly treated ingestion of the naturally occurring cyanogenic (cyanide-forming) glycosides can be fatal.
- But for some specialist insects, cyanide and cyanogenic compounds can serve as phagostimulants and kairomones.
- However, some of those compounds such as capsaicin (the substance that makes chilies pungent) and some cyanogenic glycosides, have no apparent deleterious or deterrent effect on birds.
Definition of cyanogenic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.