1(Of a plant) capable of cyanogenesis: cyanogenic forms
More example sentences
- Cyanogenic glucosides, glucosinolates and thiocyanate are the goitrogenic/antithyroid constituents of cyanogenic plants that are often used as food by men and animals.
- Cyanogenic glucosides, glucosinolates and thiocyanate are known as goitrogenic principles of cyanogenic plants.
- A number of cyanogenic plants (thiocyanate precursors) containing dietary goitrogens are commonly consumed and SCN was found to present in all the urine samples studied.
1.1 Biochemistry Containing a cyanide group in the molecule.
- In a number of countries cassava is a major source of carbohydrate, but if it is not properly treated ingestion of the naturally occurring cyanogenic (cyanide-forming) glycosides can be fatal.
- But for some specialist insects, cyanide and cyanogenic compounds can serve as phagostimulants and kairomones.
- However, some of those compounds such as capsaicin (the substance that makes chilies pungent) and some cyanogenic glycosides, have no apparent deleterious or deterrent effect on birds.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of cyanogenic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.