Definition of cyanosis in English:
A bluish discoloration of the skin resulting from poor circulation or inadequate oxygenation of the blood.
- The skin and mucous membranes should be inspected for cyanosis, pallor, ecchymoses, telangiectasia, gingivitis, or evidence of bleeding from the oral or nasal mucosa.
- Infants with coxsackie myocarditis have trouble breathing and sometimes develop cyanosis, a bluish color of the skin, lips, and nails caused by too little oxygen in the blood.
- There was no clubbing, cyanosis, edema, arthritis, lymphadenopathy, or rash.
- Example sentences
- In children, clubbing usually occurs with cystic fibrosis or uncorrected cyanotic congenital heart disease.
- People with congenital diseases of the heart or lungs, such as cyanotic congenital heart disease, are at high risk of infections which can then spread to the brain.
- The listing of aortic atresia as cyanotic is arguable, according to my pediatric cardiology associates; I have never chosen to include it as such in my annual lectures to medical students, but perhaps I should reconsider.
Definition of cyanosis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan