Definition of cycad in English:
A palmlike plant of tropical and subtropical regions, bearing large male or female cones. Cycads were abundant during the Triassic and Jurassic eras, but have since been in decline.
- Class Cycadopsida, subdivision Gymnospermae: twenty species in the genus Cycas and family Cycadaceae
- Modern cycads are tropical plants whose ancestors can be traced in the fossil record for about 300 million years.
- A few species of cycads still exist in tropical and sub-tropical regions today, and although they are used as ornamental plants some of them are facing possible extinction.
- Instead of ponderosa pines, the dominant plants were cycads, which resemble tree ferns.
Words that rhyme with cycadnicad
Definition of cycad in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia