- An eellike, jawless vertebrate with a round sucking mouth, formerly included in a group with the lampreys and hagfishes.
More example sentences
- Subclass Cyclostomata, now incorporated in the superclass Agnatha
- Data concerning key evolutionary invertebrate and vertebrate groups, the protochordates, chondrichthyes and cyclostomes, are essential to establish evolutionary patterns of the peptides.
- The skeleton of cyclostomes furnishes far fewer taxonomic characters than that of the more complex cheilostomes.
- This extant species has erect jointed colonies, an articulated growth-form which seemingly evolved convergently with that of crisiid cyclostomes.
mid 19th century: from cyclo- + Greek stoma 'mouth'.
More definitions of cyclostomeDefinition of cyclostome in:
- The British & World English dictionary