Definition of cynodont in English:
A carnivorous, mammallike fossil reptile of the late Permian and Triassic periods, with well-developed, specialized teeth.
- Suborder Cynodontia, order Therapsida: several families
- By Early Triassic times, cynodonts had diverged into large predaceous carnivores such as Cynognathus and moderate large omnivorous and herbivorous types such as Trirachodon and Diademodon.
- Evidence for therapsid fur centers on the presence of infraorbital pits and ridges in some lower Triassic cynodonts.
- Probably the most informative analysis of mammal-like reptiles as transitional forms is the one which focuses, in detail, on the presumed changes from advanced cynodonts to the earliest mammals.
late 19th century: from Greek kuōn, kun- 'dog' + odous, odont- 'tooth'.
Definition of cynodont in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia