noun (plural dados)
1The lower part of the wall of a room, below about waist height, if it is a different color or has a different covering than the upper part.
- Wallcovering which covers the lower part of the wall, or dado, and ending at the chair rail height.
- This technique is best used on doors, paneling, dados, baseboards and also as a subtle wall finish.
- The room had dark wood panelling, cream paint above the dado, a muted silver ceiling, and comfortably padded brown leather chairs.
1.1North American A groove cut in the face of a board, into which the edge of another board is fixed.
- Guide wood along the blade to make the dado grooves.
- Use a framing square to draw a line on the outside of the plywood for each dado joint so when finishing nails are used they will penetrate the shelves and not be visible on the inside.
- Check the plans for the specified depth and thickness of all your dado and rabbet cuts.
Words that rhyme with dadocarbonado, Feydeau, gambado, Oviedo, Toledo, tornado
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.