- A bulbous plant that typically bears bright yellow flowers with a long trumpet-shaped center (corona).
More example sentences
- Genus Narcissus, family Liliaceae (or Amaryllidaceae): several species, in particular the common N. pseudonarcissus and its varieties. See also narcissus
- Fall is the time to plant the tulips, daffodils and hyacinths that bloom in the spring.
- The school grounds will soon be awash with bright yellow daffodils as the flowers emerge from their bulbs.
- This daffodil produces a yellow flower with an extremely long trumpet.
mid 16th century: from late Middle English affodill, from medieval Latin affodilus, variant of Latin asphodilus (see asphodel). The initial d- is unexplained.
More definitions of daffodilDefinition of daffodil in:
- The British & World English dictionary