Definition of dahlia in English:
A tuberous-rooted Mexican plant of the daisy family, cultivated for its brightly colored single or double flowers.
- Genus Dahlia, family Compositae
- For late-summer color, plant begonias, dahlias, gladiolus, montbretia, and tigridia.
- Last year I underestimated the growth of my hostas and planted dahlias somewhere in their vicinity.
- Replace fading cool-season annuals with heat lovers like celosias, dahlias, marigolds, petunias, salvias, and verbenas.
modern Latin, named in honor of Andreas Dahl (1751–89), Swedish botanist.
Definition of dahlia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan