Definition of damping in English:
1 technical A decrease in the amplitude of an oscillation as a result of energy being drained from the system to overcome frictional or other resistive forces.
- Properties such as elasticity, viscosity, damping, inertia, friction and contact characteristics and other forces were assigned to discrete rigid-body elements.
- It has an adaptive suspension with different settings, based on a system of independently controlled damping at all four corners of the car.
- The attenuation of ground motions is due to the geometrical spreading of seismic waves and the loss of their energy that results from material damping or absorption of energy by the Earth's crust and mantle.
1.1A mechanism or system for bringing about damping.
- The angle between backrest and seat is adjustable through a wide range and a damping mechanism ensures smooth adjustment.
- The so-called Brake Pedal Unit contains the hydraulic fluid reservoir, pedal damping and hydrostatic fail-safe unit.
- The overall dimensions, damping system, bread carriage and marking fall under the tests for performance.
1.2A method of bringing about a decrease in oscillatory peaks in an electric current or voltage using an energy-absorbing or resistance circuit.
- Tuned damping, on the other hand, provides much higher levels of damping at selectively tuned frequencies.
- Plasmon waveguides can suffer losses caused by both radiation into the far field and internal damping.
2 short for damping-off.
- Symptoms associated with Phytophthora sojae infections include seed rots, pre- and post-emergence damping off of seedlings and stem rot of plants at various growth stages.
- When seedlings suddenly bend at the soil line, it's often the work of a fungal disease called damping off.
- Seedling diseases including damping off and seed rot are the most common soybean disease problems in Nebraska.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan