- A plant disease occurring in excessively damp conditions, in particular the collapse and death of young seedlings as a result of a fungal infection.
More example sentences
- The disease is commonly caused by fungi of the genera Pythium (phylum Oomycota) or Fusarium (phylum Ascomycota)
- It is often recommended to use a sterilized, soil-free starter mix to prevent diseases such as damping-off from taking hold of tender seedlings.
- Apron is a systemic fungicide for controlling seedling damping-off diseases caused by Pythium and Phytophthora during the first four weeks after seeding.
- Seed treatment with metalaxyl or use of Phytophthora-resistant varieties reduces seedling damping-off and improves stands.