noun (plural same or damselfishes)
A small brightly colored tropical fish that lives in or near coral reefs.
- Chromis and other genera, family Pomacentridae: numerous species, in particular C. chromis
More example sentences
- Closer to the reef and in among a necklace of smaller granite boulders are all the usual reef fish - butterflyfish, damselfish, Moorish idols, triggerfish, angelfish, groupers and lionfish.
- An increase in territory quality has been shown to increase the aggressive intensity of S. planifrons, a damselfish closely related to the beaugregory damselfish.
- Down the bottom, skulking around coral in the sandy lagoon floor, are tiny damselfishes.
Definition of damselfish in:
- The British & World English dictionary