Definition of damselfly in English:
noun (plural damselflies)
A slender insect related to the dragonflies, having weak flight and typically resting with the wings folded back along the body.
- Suborder Zygoptera, order Odonata: several families
- The reserve is already home to several species of dragonfly, damselflies and is used by wading birds, all of which are expected to benefit from the new pond.
- The two other lestinoid damselflies are recent ‘derived’ Lestidae.
- A blue damselfly lurked, wings swept back, then flashed out to hawk the beck.
Definition of damselfly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan