noun (plural damselflies)
A slender insect related to the dragonflies, having weak flight and typically resting with the wings folded back along the body.
- Suborder Zygoptera, order Odonata: several families
More example sentences
- The reserve is already home to several species of dragonfly, damselflies and is used by wading birds, all of which are expected to benefit from the new pond.
- The two other lestinoid damselflies are recent ‘derived’ Lestidae.
- A blue damselfly lurked, wings swept back, then flashed out to hawk the beck.
Definition of damselfly in:
- The British & World English dictionary