Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with danderAmanda, Aranda, Baganda, Banda, brander, candour (US candor), coriander, expander, gander, germander, goosander, jacaranda, Leander, Luanda, Lysander, meander, memoranda, Menander, Miranda, oleander, panda, pander, pasanda, philander, propaganda, Rwanda, sander, Skanda, stander, Uganda, understander, Vanda, veranda, withstander, zander
- House dust mites, pollens, animal dander, and other allergy-causing agents can be reduced, although not eliminated, through regular cleaning.
- Second, if you are outside doing anything with the dog, you will be bringing dander back into the house with you and setting off your wife's allergies.
- Unfortunately, strict avoidance of animal allergens is practically impossible, because even if domestic animals are not in the home there is still a possibility of significant exposure due to transfer of animal dander in public places.
Late 18th century: related to dandruff.
Entry from British & World English dictionary
- By the time we got here the restaurant was near closing and we managed to throw a few steaks and a pint of the black stuff down us before a dander along the harbour and making of plans for the morrow.
- Fancying a dander during the Easter holidays, I opted for a leisurely stroll around the Forest Park.
- While she was at church I went for a dander along the beach.
verb[no object, with adverbial of direction] Back to top
- After that, Ginty dandered about our wee town for a while and then he stood on the street corner and watched a few cars going up and down.
- I hope he got to the chapel on time because it wouldn't be the first time he dandered in late.
- Map in hand, I dander, uneasily, towards my hotel.
Late 16th century: frequentative form; perhaps related to dialect dadder 'quake' and daddle 'dawdle'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.