- 1Make or become dark or darker: [no object]: the sky was darkening rapidly [with object]: darken the eyebrows with black powder (as adjective darkened) a darkened roomMore example sentences
- And then, as the sky slowly darkens, dark silhouettes slowly start wandering along the city-centre sidewalks.
- Jeanna opened her eyes to see the sky had darkened to a dark slate, and the wind whipped mercilessly at the houses and plants around her.
- It was here the new Carlow confidence shone like the sun breaking through after rapidly darkening skies which almost called for floodlighting.
- 2Make or become gloomy, angry, or unhappy: [no object]: his mood darkened [with object]: the abuse darkened the rest of their livesMore example sentences
blacken, become angry, become annoyed; sadden, become gloomy, become unhappy, become depressed, become dejected, become dispirited, become troubled
- His thoughts darkened rapidly as his fingers continued to itch.
- His eyes darkened as he surveyed me with a tiny bit of mistrust, ‘You going to be helping the king.’
- Sara's blue eyes darkened as she watched his expression become somewhat haunted.
- 2.1 [no object] (Of someone’s eyes or expression) show anger or another strong negative emotion: his face darkened and he lunged awayMore example sentences
- His green eyes darkened and his expression turned stony.
- His brilliant blue eyes would darken and the expression on his face became intense just before he would kiss her.
- Scott could see her eyes darkening with anger.
- 2.2 [with object] (Of anger or another strong negative emotion) show in (someone’s eyes or expression): misery darkened her gazeMore example sentences
- An unidentifiable emotion darkened his eyes so that they were almost black.
- Annoyance darkened her brown eyes as she glared at the vicious, little black ball of fur.
- Andy nodded, the concerned expression still darkening her blue eyes.
darken someone's door
- Visit someone’s home: never darken my door again!More example sentences
- At times players and football clubs can delude themselves into believing that they are too good to go down and that relegation is a scenario that will never darken their door.
- Well, Ms Claire Harper, Head of Marketing, it will ensure that your delivery men will never darken my door again because I will switch to one of your competitors.
- If Scallon isn't driving those cattle, I'll never darken your door again, and I'll not bother you over the man again.
- More example sentences
- Unlike mascara, lash darkener just adds color, no length or volume.
- You can use herbal henna once every 2 weeks as a hair conditioner and hair darkener.
- It takes about 5 more minutes of sanding to remove all of the darkener from the top relief of your etching.