Definition of darning needle in English:
1A long sewing needle with a large eye, used in darning.
- Pick at least a kilo, prick each berry several times with a darning needle and squash into a lidded glass jar.
- You can use the darning technique to repair small holes in socks and other clothing. With a darning needle and yarn, you'll form a network of stitches across the gap.
- One way to easily thread a darning needle with a large eye is to fold a thin, rectangular sliver of paper in half the long way, sandwich the end of the thread into it as you would a hot dog in a bun, then slide paper and thread through the eye of the needle.
1.1North American another term for darner (sense 2).
- The ‘darning needles’ or dragonfly story is an example of Feynman's methods.
- Other common names for dragonflies include sewing needles, devil's darning needles, snake doctors, horse stingers, and mosquito hawks.
- Myths about dragonflies warned children to keep quiet or else the dragonfly's "darning needles" would sew the child's mouth shut.
Definition of darning needle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan