noun (plural dassies)
- A hyrax, especially the rock hyrax of southern Africa.
More example sentences
- Family Procaviidae, in particular Procavia capensis
- Some of these dassies, these hyraxes, went into the rocks, but this one actually climbs into the treetops.
- Back at the campsite, spotted hyenas and dassies can be seen at dusk and into the night.
- Mountain rhebuck, duiker, jackal, mongoose, porcupine and dassie now live in the Reserve.
late 18th century: from Afrikaans, from South African Dutch dasje, diminutive of Dutch das 'badger'.
More definitions of dassieDefinition of dassie in:
- The British & World English dictionary