(also datum level)
Definition of datum line in English:
1A standard of comparison or point of reference.
- In a country where about 80 per cent of the population live below the poverty datum line, one could hardly expect the majority of parents to manage to pay the rising school fees.
- At R370 a month in 1993, and R470 in 1998, the pension kept its real value and exceeded the poverty datum line.
- And a statement from WEDAZ says Zambia has a total population of 10.2 million of which 73 per cent lived below the poverty datum line.
1.1 Surveying An assumed surface used as a reference for the measurement of heights and depths.
- This system is generally fine until you have a very silty site, when a fixed datum line is a must.
- The biostratigraphic events reported by Bralower et al. were used for the definition of zonal boundaries, integrated with additional datum levels.
- There are three primary topographical conditions from datum line to datum line: floodplains and bottomlands in the river valleys, uplands midway between rivers and hilltops, and high land at the prevailing level of the plateau.
1.2A line to which dimensions are referred on engineering drawings, and from which measurements are calculated.
- A set of calibrated marks and a vertical datum line coinciding with or parallel to the vertical suspension axis are imprinted on the plate above and below the hairline.
- The street directory, consulted to verify this, revealed that a cul-de-sac called Swan Street in South Blackburn, some ten kilometres from the Other’ Swan Street, lies on the eastwards extension of this datum line.
Definition of datum line in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan