Definition of dawn redwood in English:
A coniferous tree with deciduous needles, known only as a fossil until it was found growing in southwestern China in 1941. Also called metasequoia.
- Metasequoia glyptostroboides, family Taxodiaceae
- The famous giant redwood is a large evergreen conifer, whereas, in contrast, the dawn redwood is a deciduous conifer.
- Now native only to China, the dawn redwood was the most common sequoia in North America during prehistoric times.
- The two extinct species of Metasequoia were adapted to distinctly different swamp habitats, as are living dawn redwood compared with swamp cypress.
Definition of dawn redwood in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan