Definition of dawn redwood in English:
A coniferous tree with deciduous needles, known only as a fossil until it was found growing in southwestern China in 1941. Also called metasequoia.
- Metasequoia glyptostroboides, family Taxodiaceae
- The famous giant redwood is a large evergreen conifer, whereas, in contrast, the dawn redwood is a deciduous conifer.
- Now native only to China, the dawn redwood was the most common sequoia in North America during prehistoric times.
- The two extinct species of Metasequoia were adapted to distinctly different swamp habitats, as are living dawn redwood compared with swamp cypress.
Definition of dawn redwood in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.