Definition of day shift in English:
1A period of time worked during the daylight hours in a hospital, factory, etc., as opposed to the night shift.
- The 26-year-old woman does the day shift and keeps regular hours.
- They work only in the day shift (eight hours) and on an average, each worker earns Rs.3,000 a month.
- During the day shift, he sloshed around ankle-deep in dye, in a grubby old factory in America's Silk City, Paterson, New Jersey.
1.1 [treated as singular or plural] The employees who work during the day shift.
- Sometimes, she said, the bus and its passengers were still waiting there when the customs officers' day shift went home.
- ‘In the morning, when the day shift comes on, they can't even see yet, but they've got a coffee cup in their hand,’ Willis added.
- I hadn't realized how many people were here at this time before, but it was definitely less than day shift.
Definition of day shift in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan