- (In the early church and some modern churches) a woman with duties similar to those of a deacon.More example sentences
- In the early 1970s, while in seminary, I wrote a seminar paper for Professor Glenn Hinson on the roles of deaconesses in the early church.
- What duties did early English Baptist churches assign to deaconesses?
- At this time she decided to become a deaconess in the Methodist Church and worked towards that end.
More definitions of deaconessDefinition of deaconess in:
- The British & World English dictionary