- A ball that has gone out of play or is declared to be out of play.More example sentences
- The ball careened back into fair territory and was caught by pitcher Kip Wells but was ruled a dead ball by plate umpire Travis Katzenmeier.
- The player may re-enter the game at the first dead ball after the 5-minute penalty has elapsed.
- ‘Some years ago when playing amateur football, I retrieved a dead ball from off the pitch, carried it back on and handed it to my goalie,’ Craig Thomas told us a few weeks ago.
More definitions of dead ballDefinition of dead ball in:
- The British & World English dictionary