- The intrinsic weight of a structure or vehicle, excluding the weight of passengers or goods. Often contrasted with live load.More example sentences
- Footings or piers may also be assigned a minimum dead load pressure to resist uplift of low-swelling soils.
- A full structural analysis is required to determine whether it is necessary to underpin the foundations to resist the additional dead loads.
- The research undertaken was applied to the architect's design, with analysis of rafter self-weight, and theoretical dead loads of bamboo sheeting and live loads representing rain and maintenance.
More definitions of dead loadDefinition of dead load in:
- The British & World English dictionary