Definition of dead man's fingers in English:
1A soft coral that has spongy lobes stiffened by calcareous spines. When found washed up on the beach it is said to resemble the fingers of a corpse.
- Alcyonium digitatum, order Alcyonacea
- On her dives, Louise is likely to catch sight of lobster, starfish and octopus, as well as plants such as sea cucumbers, dead man's fingers and soft and hard corals.
- The rocky seabed is covered in jewel anemones, dead man's fingers and hydroids.
- So far it has been a dive typical of the area, with crawfish, lobsters, clumps of white and yellow dead man's fingers, sea urchins grazing paths across the rocks, and small jewel anemones on any spaces left.
2A fungus that produces clumps of dull black, irregular, fingerlike fruiting bodies at the bases of dead tree stumps in both Eurasia and North America.
- Xylaria polymorpha, family Xylariaceae, phylum Ascomycota
- Dead man's fingers, a wood-digesting fungus that produces a variety of different dull-colored club-like fruiting bodies, is most likely not a single species.
- The dead man's fingers fungus also causes root rot disease.
- I recall the fungi protruding through the duff: dead man's fingers, jelly babies, coral fungus, and earth tongue.
3 informal The fingerlike divisions of a lobster’s or crab’s gills.
- Next, remove the crab's gills, or dead man's fingers, from the abdomen and throw them away.
- You end up standing in the kitchen, apron on, hair tied back, getting increasingly, well, crabby, as you pick and shove your way through bones, cartilage and dead man's fingers.
- Open the crab, remove the 'dead man's fingers' and cut the body into four.
Definition of dead man's fingers in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.