Definition of dead-nettle in English:
An Old World plant of the mint family, with leaves that resemble those of a nettle but lack stinging hairs.
- Lamium and related genera, family Labiatae: several species, including the common white dead-nettle (L. album)
- Red dead-nettle is common in cereals where it has benefited from the control of more competitive weeds.
- In the past red and white dead-nettles have been cooked like spinach but they're probably don't come into the gourmet class as they've also been used in making pig-swill.
- The flowering of daffodils and white dead-nettles has been observed at Christmas, and in parts of Scotland people now cut their grass in winter.
Definition of dead-nettle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan