Definition of dead-nettle in English:
An Old World plant of the mint family, with leaves that resemble those of a nettle but lack stinging hairs.
- Lamium and related genera, family Labiatae: several species, including the common white dead-nettle (L. album)
- Red dead-nettle is common in cereals where it has benefited from the control of more competitive weeds.
- In the past red and white dead-nettles have been cooked like spinach but they're probably don't come into the gourmet class as they've also been used in making pig-swill.
- The flowering of daffodils and white dead-nettles has been observed at Christmas, and in parts of Scotland people now cut their grass in winter.
Definition of dead-nettle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.