Definition of dead time in English:
1Time in which someone or something is inactive or unable to act productively.
- Surely we should move the US presidential process forward and start it in June or something, so we don't have all this dead time for half a year.
- There are no embarrassing moments and no dead time.
- I have 80 newsfeeds on my phone because I can read those 80 during dead time on public transport while they are still fresh.
1.1 Physics The period after the recording of a particle or pulse when a detector is unable to record another.
- The bias in the estimated triplet parameters as presented in Table 2 disappears when introducing corrections for the dead time of the detector.
- The method provides sufficient signal-to-noise ratio to measure fast fluorescence decays with ~ 400 s dead time, while consuming only picomoles of material.
- The circuit compensates for dead time over a wide range of count rates by producing a dead-time pulse for each detected event, a live-time pulse that spans the interval between dead-time pulses, and circuits that average the value of these pulses over time.
Definition of dead time in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan